Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Return of the Lack (ey)


Above is our daily greeting.

Goodness it's been a while since I wrote. So much has happened and I don't know if I'll fit it all in one post!

The young 'uns are growing rapidly. Mono has put on 3.7kg since he first arrived and it's mainly leg. He still looks skinny but it's obviously because all the food goes straight to his feet. Marley and Gizmo are on the verge of being called sheep (Spencer is still little (er) though), Sid is bounding around like a madman and scaling anything in sight (including us), the chicks are massive and the roosters have started crowing.

The lamb feeding is diminishing with only Spencer still being fed 3 times a day (cutting down to 2 next week). All three sheep have been unwell recently with Spence contracting scabby mouth presumably from the live vaccine, and both Marley and Gizmo (and to some extent, Spencer) got infections from a wrongly placed injection (no fault of mine or Marty's) in their cheek. So they each got another injection in their neck to try and counteract their ailments. Poor girls. But they're all looking much better and happier now.
We're still having problems with the horsey boys but I'm going to get stuck into some regular work with them now and hopefully they'll come right before Christmas. And we'll have Sarah (the equine therapist) out again before then as well and she may also know someone to give us a hand with retraining Brother.
The aviary has gone beserk with weeds and they're popping up faster than I can pull them out. They've almost completely engulfed the potatoes and raspberries. I don't even know where to start with that area!
We've finally planted stuff in the new vege garden. Mainly tomatoes of various varieties but also the corn (which is looking great!) and some cannellino and borlotti fire tongue beans. Also a couple of zucchini, cumcumber, pumpkin and watermelon. So now, once again, we are running out of room to plant out the seedlings from the greenhouse and we'll probably need to make another patch. The next one will be dug out by pigs though - it's tough going. I'm also keener than ever to get some bees. I just have to convince Marty...
We've been down in Wellington over the past 2 weekends. Both have been quite busy with parties - Rach's 30th and Renata and Brian's retirement/been in NZ 40 years. Mum and Richard were on animal minding duties (thanks!) so they had their work cut out for them.
Jen came back with us last Sunday and stayed until today. It's been great having her here. Sid obviously took a shine to her because it's only been in the past couple of days that she's been approaching us at all. And Mono adored having another person to play with. And, of course, it was just nice to spend some time together, something we haven't done in a long time. AND, she helped me with weeding and horse training. Awesome! Not to mention the ongoing animal feedings and cuddles...


Withing the first half hour of Mum and Richard starting their minding duties, I got a panicked call from mum saying that Gizmo wouldn't eat and one of the chickens was missing. Rita had gone AWOL as revenge for kicking her and her friends out of their nests because they're all broody and not laying. When we got back to the farm I stalked her and uncovered her hideout...

in an iris with 10 eggs! So I stole her eggs and she has since gone back to the coop. Sill chook.

Sid took up a lot of our time while Jen was here because she's just so funny. The lambs were a bit upset at the lack of attention they were getting but it got them eating some grass which is good

But of course they weren't completely left out...

And Mono got some quality time too - once he decided he didn't want to eat my face...

Anyway, there is much more to say, I'm sure, but dinner is on it's way (good on Takapau co-op for delivering fresh fish to our door every Thursday!) and I need to turn my brain off in preparation for work bright and early tomorrow morning. I thought this time of the year would be quiet but apparently I was wrong and work has gone crazy. It's good for the holiday season but I'm spending a lot of time in the car.

Ok, I will be more prompt with my next post, I promise.

Chau,

K :)

No comments: